Insignia Texture Display Problems

• 8 Replies
Insignia Texture Display Problems
« on: January 16, 2018, 01:13:46 AM »
First, I want to thank you for a great mod that has renewed my interest in Arma3.

But I ran into a problem with the instructions list from the Operational Handbook.

UH-1 Huey Nose Art and Sigs Templates:
   (insert line in the unit's 'init' box within the editor)

Nose Art (Large)
      this setobjecttexture [13,"\csj_uh1slick\sig\______.paa"];
Nose Art (Smaller)
      this setobjecttexture [14,"\csj_uh1slick\sig\______.paa"];
Cargo Door Sig
      this setobjecttexture [15,"\csj_uh1slick\sig\______.paa"];
Tactical Art (usually a full band around the tail boom)
      this setobjecttexture [16,"\csj_uh1slick\sig\______.paa"];
Tactical Sig (used instead of band)
      this setobjecttexture [17,"\csj_uh1slick\sig\______.paa"];
Pilot / Co-Pilot Door Art
      this setobjecttexture [18,"\csj_uh1slick\sig\______.paa"];
 Rocket Launcher Pod Sigs - Full Length Wrap
      this setobjecttexture [20,"\csj_uh1slick\sig\______.paa"];
Rocket Launcher Pod Sigs - Middle Patch
      this setobjecttexture [21,"\csj_uh1slick\sig\______.paa"];

At first nothing would work (Picture not found error).  Then I found out that you had renamed the ".pbo" file to csj_heli.  Amending the path in the command solved that problem.

After that I observed the position numbers did not correspond with the actual positions.
Below are the actual positions I encountered on the uh1 slick:

Nose Art (Large) = [12,
Nose Art (Smaller) = [13,
 Cargo Door Sig was non-functional
Tactical Art (a full band around tail boom) = [15,
Tactical Sig (instead of band) = [16,
The rest of the positions were non-functional on both the slick & the model 200 Hueys.

Also I was unable to get some custom art to display.  Art was converted to "_____.paa" file.  The game returned - Picture not found error - even though all the files were placed into a folder in the mission root directory.
        ( this setobjecttexture [13,"\csj_heli\art\______.paa"]; )

Another observation was some of the insignias tested ( cobra - sabry ) would not display.
At other times upon returning  to the editor an insignia ( dolphin ) would display for nose art.
Also there were anomalies in the tail boom display.  The template portion would display an insignia ( wrw.paa )  while the band ( yeltac.paa ) would display on the top & bottom of the boom; using these commands
   this setObjectTexture [12, "\csj_heli\sig\116thAHCstingers.paa"];
   this setObjectTexture [15, "\csj_heli\sig\yeltac.paa"];

Screenshot:
        http://www.mediafire.com/view/i89kv9zlizhy2g6/Full%20view.jpg

Screenshot:         "Use view button for this one"
        http://www.mediafire.com/file/m9v4vek3k338qmb/Tail%20view.jpg

Other times it would display an insignia or a band without any command being used.

Any assistance in resolving these problems, especially access to the custom art, will be greatly appreciated.

Keep up the great work.....

P.S.  Has there been any update to the Operational Handbook?

Barden

• Unsung PR Team
Re: Insignia Texture Display Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 10:52:04 AM »
Thanks for your really in depth look into this!
Although it's not in the bugs section (A moderator should be able to move it), I'm passing this on in the beta tester channel of the discord.
Cheers :)

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 01:13:28 PM »
awesome and very helpful post thanks ghost

we'll make this a phabricator ticket and fix it up and issue new instructions

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 09:10:20 PM »
Glad to help,

The reason I did not post under bug reports is in the handbook everything was listed under scripts.  In my limited experience with scripts they never do the same thing twice.

Was there any update to the handbook?   Was the ability to add our own custom art available, or this was a closed system?

Also is there the capability of adding custom art to the Chinooks'?  If not can you include this in some future update?

Regards....

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 10:09:06 AM »
Just a follow up observation from the above post.

Further testing revealed more problems than was originally discovered.  Initially it was just the custom insignias that I was trying to get the helos to display.  So I just tested with the 114th, 116th, 118th & 121st AHC insignias.
Everything appeared normal.  Even with the tactical bands on the tail boom.  The main areas of interest were the chinooks & hueys.  Further testing of the insignias revealed only the 116th, 118th, 121st & 23rdID were functioning.  The 114shld, 114sig, 135th, acats thru crusade were non-functioning.  Haven't tested the rest.

Then I started applying camo textures to the a/c.  Everything displayed properly with the chinook except for the vertical demarcation between the center windows causing an alignment mismatch of the textures.  This could be corrected if a painting template were made available.

The hueys would not accept any camo textures & they did not generate any errors.  Banged my head against the bulkheads, but she would not give up her secrets. In my experiments, I found the choctaw would not accept any textures, but that appears to be a special paint job, just for that unit.  Correct me if I'm wrong. 
The piasecki accepts camo textures, but it takes dark textures & severely lightens them up.  Your original brown camo applied to the heli appears washed out. The underbelly is much darker than the side opposite the sun & this is much darker than the roof or side facing the sunlight.

After testing & applying textures to many a/c, at the bottom of the airforce list I found this lonely little huey - the green hornet { uns_UH1F_M21_M158_Hornet & the 200 model }.  Both models generate an error as soon as you placed them in the editor.

1:24:51    Error in expression <gun\data\hornet_green.paa"]
      ];
      _vehicle setobjecttextureGlobal[14, _roundels sel>
 1:24:51      Error position: <setobjecttextureGlobal[14, _roundels sel>
 1:24:51      Error Type Array, expected String
 1:24:51    File uns_air\functions_csj_uh1gun\init_hornet.sqf, line 21

If I remember correctly, according to the handbook, the 14th position was for the cargo doors.  Could this be the cause of the display problems for the insignias & the skin textures.

Hopefully this will help solve the problem.

Cheers....

P.S.  I only started experimenting with your { Echo } mod, So I have nothing to compare it to.

TeTeT

• Unsung homepage
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 03:41:41 AM »
Hi OleGreyGhost,

thanks for your continued interest in the subject of insignias and changing the base camo! I still haven't tracked down the core reason why the unit insignias are not displayed.

On the camo selections via setObjectTextureGlobal on many vehicles, you will fight with the initialization functions we wrote for these. For example, the CH-34 uses init functions to set it's appearance. So what you need to do is to add a sleep of let's say 2 seconds before you apply any textures.
Some pseudo code for the unit's init box is:

[this] spawn {sleep 2; (_this select 0) setObjectTextureGlobal [0, <path to your texture>];};

Of course '0' depends on the selection, but you have figured that already out.

The Green Hornet had a bug in the script, I fixed that on development, will go out with any patch in the future.

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 06:13:06 AM »
Thank you for the additional info.  Will try out the sleep command.

To finish up on the heli insignias', I tried a more systematic approach.  Both with & without the attempted application of the camo skin. This time the 114sig did display properly.

This is the complete list of displayable insignias:

114sig - 16thAHC -116thAHCstingers - 116thAHC_2 - 118thBandits - 121- 23rdID - dolph - hornet - hornetB - hornetW - shrk1 - shrk2 - shrk3 - tbirds..  The rest would not display.

One thing I did observe while testing just the camo textures, was the nose & tailboom insignias displaying a different solid color each time you entered the scenario even without calling them by command.  ( like a random rotation script).  Noticed this also with the BIS civilian vehicles changing color upon entering a scenario.
Sometimes the insignias would display when returning to the editor.  Other times you can enter or return to the editor without any insignias being displayed.

There seems to be a memory problem with skin textures on BIS helos.  Going back & forth from editor to scenario does not completely clear memory.  It retains the previous texture, negating any change you might have applied.  I found this out while attempting to make a painting template for the blackfoot.

Might this be the source of the problem??

Looking forward to the next update. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 06:18:02 AM by OleGreyGhost »

TeTeT

• Unsung homepage
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 09:13:02 PM »
With some help I found the core reason for the insignia not displaying. The problem is two fold, first the should patch on the unit is partially inside the arm. Second the selection is shared with the clan selection, which seems to override the shoulder patch.

To fix this we need to move the insignia patch on top of the arm and create a new patch for the clan on the right shoulder. The old insignia and clan selections need to be cleared. Unfortunately I'm not a talented modeller, so achieving this might be out of my grasp.

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 06:42:45 AM »
Congrats on finding the cause of the problem.

When you say clan selection, is that the same as the BIS squad.xml patch?  BIS applies that patch to the right shoulder.

Best suggestion is to examine BIS' model to see how they set it up.  It appears like a pocket was attached to the upper arm near the shoulder. Then the patch is displayed in this area.

Good luck in finding a solution.....